I call these “Dangerously Delicious Pecan Bars” because they are nearly impossible to resist and before you know it you’ll have “tasted” half the pan. They are simple, impressive and a must try for anyone who likes Pecans. This is one of my personal favorites.
I’ve made these Pecan Bars twice. The first time I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious, but I noticed two things that made me want to try it again the very next day; First, my crust didn’t get “crumbly” as the original recipe states while in the stand mixer and secondly, 20 minutes was too long in my oven. On my second attempt I baked them for only 15 minutes and let my crust mix for quite some time and it never really got that crumbly, it stayed pretty moist. I have to say though, it seemed to make no difference in taste, the crust is delicious. Butter and brown sugar creamed together, who cares about “crumbly” :)
That’s as “crumbly” as mine got. The baked crust was soft and moist though so I’m not sure if I would change it. Let me know how yours turns out!
In your stand mixer with fitted with the paddle attachment cream together 2 sticks of unsalted butter and 2/3 of a cup packed brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in the salt and flour and let it mix until it becomes “crumbly”….
While your crust is baking, you can start your pecan filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1/3 cup honey, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Keep stirring until your sauce begins to simmer, then let simmer for about a minute, letting the brown sugar melt. After about a minute, stir in your 2 cups chopped pecans.
Remove crust from oven and immediately pour the filling completely covering your crust. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes. You don’t want the edges getting too brown, it will make the bars hard.
Once the pecan bars have cooled completely, lift the foil out by the “handles” and set on cutting board. Remove the foil and cut into whatever size preference you like! They are very rich and sweet so you might not want bar size. ”Your Welcome” and “I’m Sorry.”
- For Filling:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅓ cup of honey
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- For the crust:
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 and ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a bit hanging off on the ends to serve as “handles” later. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attatchment, cream together brown sugar and softened butter until fluffy.
- Mix in flour until dough is rough in texture or crumbly.
- Press the crust into your foil lined pan and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, stir the brown sugar, butter, heavy cream and honey together in a saucepan over medium heat. Let the sauce simmer for about a minute and stir in chopped pecans.
- Remove crust from oven and pour pecan filling over the entire crust.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Do not let edges get too brown if you don’t want the bars too hard.
- Allow bars to cool completely in the pan. Use foil “handles” to remove bars and cut to desired size.